An Introduction to Astronomy
The main aim of this course is to develop a firm working knowledge of the major themes of astronomy and an ability to identify all the most prominent night-sky objects. During the course you will learn about:
- The planets and the solar system – our neighbours in space! The birth of the solar system; our star the sun; life (?) on Mars; oceans and volcanoes on Jupiter’s moons; and acid rain on Venus…
- The Stars: What is a star? How do they shine? Chart their birth, life and (often spectacular!) death.
- The big bang!: the history and future of the universe.
- Black holes and white dwarfs – always a favourite!
- Galaxies and the structure of the Universe
- Choosing and using a telescope.
- What to observe and when – learning your way around the night sky.
- Gravity, time travel and Einstein!
- Life in the Universe…?? !
The course runs on consecutive Tuesday evenings, 7-9 pm, and is eight weeks in duration
Next course commences on Tuesday September 19th 2017 at 7pm
Fee for the full course £99 per person
Email: email@example.com to reserve your place…
or ring the centre: 01253 772974